488 State Route 295
Chatham, NY 12037
Tel: (518) 392-1651 / Fax: (518) 392-4934
HOURS: Monday and Thursday 10-4
Jim Quinn, Building Inspector
Cell phone number (518) 603-1691
Erin Reis, Clerk
Click on the link below for the latest information on Building Department Fees
Building Permit Fee Schedule
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING BUILDING PERMITS
IF YOU HAVE A PROJECT THIS YEAR AND ARE NOT SURE IF A BUILDING PERMIT IS REQUIRED, PLEASE ASK THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT.
RESIDENTIAL BUILDING/ZONING PERMITS are required for (including but not limited to) the following: new homes, garages, additions, renovations, replacing roof and windows, fences, swimming pools, (any pool that is capable of holding two (2) feet or more of water) decks and porches, storage sheds, run-in sheds for animals, barns, carports, retaining walls, fireplaces and wood stoves, gazebos, chimneys, tennis court, riding arenas and demolition.
COMMERCIAL BUILDING/ZONING PERMITS are required for (including but not limited to) the following: New buildings, open buildings, signs, fuel storage tanks, roofing, siding and windows, additions, storage sheds, renovations, change of use.
REQUIREMENTS NEEDED IN ORDER TO ISSUE BUILDING/ZONING PERMIT:
- BUILDING/ZONING PERMIT APPLICATION COMPLETED
- PLOT PLAN SHOWING LOCATION OF PROJECT. PLEASE SHOW DISTANCE PROJECT LOCATION IS FROM ALL PROPERTY LINES. PLOT PLAN SHOULD SHOW EXISTING STRUCTURES AND DRIVEWAY.
- DEPENDING UPON THE TYPE OF PROJECT A STRUCTURAL DRAWING MAY BE REQUIRED, PLEASE CONTACT THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT TO SEE IF ONE IS NEEDED.
- COPY OF CONTRACTORS WORKMAN’S COMPENSATION AND LIABILITY INSURANCE, SELF-EMPLOYED CONTRACTORS CE-200 EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE.
- A HOME-OWNER DOING THE PROJECT NEEDS BP-1 FORM COMPLETED AND NOTARIZED
Please note that business signs are strictly prohibited on public property in the Town of Chatham. This also includes signs posted to telephone poles, at traffic intersections, and roadsides.